A bad catalytic converter can cause some serious problems in your car. Here are the top 5 symptoms of a bad catalytic converter:
1. Reduced engine performance: If you notice your engine doesn't seem to be running as smoothly as it used to, it could be due to a bad catalytic converter. A catalytic converter is an important part of your vehicle's emissions system and it helps reduce air pollution. When it malfunctions, it can lead to a reduction in engine performance.
2. Trouble starting your car: A catalytic converter is a part of your engine's exhaust system that helps reduce emissions. It takes the exhaust gases and converts them into less polluting emissions. If your catalytic converter is damaged or clogged, your engine may have difficulty starting.
3. Excessive exhaust smoke: The catalytic converter helps reduce the amount of harmful gases created by your vehicle, so if it isn't functioning, it's time to take a look. The most common symptom of a failing catalytic converter is excessive exhaust smoke. This smoke can come in the form of black smoke, white smoke, or even blue smoke.
4. Check engine light: If the dreaded check engine light comes on and stays on, the first thing to check is your catalytic converter. This device is essential for the proper functioning of a car's engine, and if it's not working properly, the light will stay lit.
5. Bad fuel economy: If you're noticing your fuel economy is getting worse, it could be a sign that your catalytic converter is going bad.
If you're experiencing any of these symptoms, it's best to get your car checked out by a mechanic as soon as possible. A bad catalytic converter can cause more serious problems if left unchecked. Contact Premier Automotive Service immediately if your catalytic converter needs fixing.